Sunday, July 26, 2009

Day by day...it's a process

www.tips-fb.com
Greetings and salutations my friends! It's been awhile since I last blogged, but I just returned home from a fantastic two weeks in Ohio with my parents. I dragged all of my P90X gear to Ohio with me, and didn't miss a workout while I was out of town, for which I give a big kudos to myself. On the other hand, I fear that my diet did suffer a bit, but rather than beat myself up for my transgressions, it's important to remember that this is a process. I'm not going to change 38 years of bad habits in 115 days.

The worst foods at my mom's house were, sadly, the two things that I crave the most...ice cream and pretzels. Yep, I ate them, but unlike the old me, I didn't eat half the carton or half the bag of pretzels dipped in cheese. Also, my parents go out to dinner once per week, and I met some friends from high school on several other days, so the opportunity to eat at restaurants was much more frequent than normal. Restaurants really do pose some challenges for those who are trying to eat healthier and with moderation.

We like to think that a good old fashioned salad is always a great choice, but some of those 'nutritious' salad choices contain over 1000 calories and 40+ grams of fat! I had lunch one afternoon with my mom, and after searching the menu, chose a grilled chicken sandwich, thinking I was doing myself a favor. Upon coming home and entering my lunch into myfitnesspal.com, I realized that my 'good selection' boasted 910 calories JUST FOR THE SANDWICH! I was devastated and really angry with myself.

After that, I was determined to really make sure my choices were the healthier one on the menu. In many places, it was hard to find a single option that was less than 900 calories, while other restaurants do go out of their way to provide less fattening fare for the calorie conscious. If you're going to go out to eat, do your homework first. Most restaurants provide nutrition guides for their menus online. Also, myfitnesspal.com has a food search, and many chain restaurant foods have already been placed into the database. Do some searches and write down your options. This is what I ended up doing, and it saved me a LOT of heartache later. In addition, the options were still good tasting food, they simply didn't provide me with an entire day's worth of calories in one sitting.

So yep, I struggled. As each day would close, I would promise that I'd do better the next day. And I did, for the most part. The surprising thing is that even though I felt like like I had disappointed myself with regards to my diet for the past two weeks, I came home and got on the scale, and I'm down 3 pounds. Go figure...I'm obviously making MUCH better choices than I would have made 4 months ago, but still have a ways to go. I just have to remember, day by day, it IS a process. Some days will be good, some not so good, but in the end, we will make positive strides towards a fitter lifestyle.

If you have questions about diet, nutrition, or fitness, please feel free to ask. Just go to my coaching page and send me an e-mail. Day by day folks...we just have to take it day by day.

No comments:

Post a Comment