Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Goals...what do you want?

www.tips-fb.com
Greetings and Salutations!


To start off, I just wanted to pass along a little note to wish each and every one of you a happy and healthy holiday! Of course, along with the holidays comes New Years's, and alas, with the new year come those resolutions that many of us make, promising to do something different over the course of the next 365 days. I've made them, too, and what started as a good idea and the right idea, generally led to some sort of failure. So, instead of a resolution, why not try a goal for the year? I know, I know, it sounds like the same thing, but I assure you, goal setting is quite different.


First off, what do you want to accomplish? Keep in mind that as you set your goal, to make it as specific as possible. Also, we need to be able to measure your progress. So, if you want to 'lose weight,' you need to state it more specifically and with a weightloss goal in mind (i.e. I want to lose 22 pounds). You might also consider things such as a body fat percentage that you'd like to have, a clothing size that you'd love to fit into, or a distance that you'd like to be able to run. Whatever you choose, give your brain a clear message that you WANT to be able to accomplish this specific thing.

Second, set an achievable goal and don't settle for less than what you really want. As Tom Venuto stated in his book The Body Fat Solution (2009), "As long as your goal is achievable, believable, and you're willing to do what it takes to get it, then the sky's the limit." In addition, set a deadline for meeting your goal that is a reasonable and realistic amount of time for meeting your goal...you might make it, you might not, but you need a specific amount of time with with you can work. If you want to lose 50 pounds, six weeks is NOT reasonable, 6 months is doable, but tough, while 8-9 months is realistic.

Next, write some reasons why you want to meet that specific goal. This is going to help with your own intrinsic motivation, and when you start to stray, you need to remind yourself of WHY the goal is important to you.

Set some mini-milestones to meet along the way. Have mini-goals that you strive to meet each week, month, etc. Let others know about your goals so that you can surround yourself with a positive support crew. Finally, and this is the hardest part, what do I need to do in order to meet my goal? If your goal is serious weight loss, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but in order to do so, you're going to have to make some major lifestyle changes.

This is where I might be able to help. If your goal is fitness related, but you don't just know how to get there, LET ME KNOW! If you've set a goal, but you're having troubles staying committed, let me know! If you met a mini-goal, or met your yearly goal, let me know! I want to celebrate with you!


When I started thinking about goals, I wanted to just say, "I want to be the fittest I've ever been in my life." Obviously, not specific enough and not measurable. Also, I think I'm probably the fittest I've ever been in my life already, or at least a close runner-up to my Junior and Senior years of basketball season. Thanks Coach Sines, those suicide drills DO get you in shape! So I really need to think...what do I want to accomplish this year with regards to fitness and health? And how can I measure my success? I've got some thinking to do over the next few days.


For those of you who have regularly pushed play with Tony, Chalene, Debbie, Shaun T. and others, or who have just made regular fitness activities a part of your daily life, bravo to you! Keep pushing hard. But for those of you who keep walking past the dust covered Turbo Jam or P90X workouts and saying, "I should start that today," what's keeping you from pushing play and meeting your goals? I'm here for you either eay...let me know what I can do to help.


I'm off to do some Insanity with Shaun T. and walk the dogs. I've got to finish up my 2009 goals!

Have a safe, blessed, and happy holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment