Thursday, May 28, 2009

A Nation in Need...

www.tips-fb.com

Greetings and salutations my friends! When I first saw the image at the left, I managed a brief chuckle before the reality of it sunk in.
As many of you know, I'm a teacher. 8th grade to be exact, and there's a trend that bothers me more and more each day...the rising number of overweight and obese adults and children that walk the face of our planet each and every day. According to the Center for Disease Control (2009), 66% of Americans over the age of 20 are currently overweight or obese. SIXTY-SIX PERCENT!!! That's two out of every three people, folks. To make it even better, 32% of Americans over 20 are more than merely overweight, they're obese. Those are some pretty sad, and alarming, statistics. In addition, almost 20% of children (teens and younger) are already fighting the battle of the bulge and are overweight.

Why, you ask? Well, my guess is because we've become a nation of indulgence where everything must come to us in a hurry. Hungry? There's a fast food restaurant on every corner. Don't like the number on the scale? I'm sure there's an advertisement on television or in a magazine that promises instant weight loss in mere minutes (or with zero effort) a day.

I hate to be the one to burst your bubble my friends, but there's nothing quick or easy about fighting this battle. It takes work, and committment, and serious changes in the way you eat and move your body every day for the rest of your life. But you know what? The good news is that if you do start making those changes, you WILL see results. So, why not make today the day? Start moving everyone...play with your kids at the park, stay up in two-point for 15 minutes straight (for my horse friends, you know this is a thigh burner), walk the dogs, go to the gym, crank the elliptical higher, go for a run, start one of the fantastic workout programs available through Beachbody, SOMETHING to get your heart rate up so you can build some sweat equity in yourself.

To make it even easier, I can help. Join my fitness team here with a FREE account. Not only do you get great information about fitness and nutrition, you also get me as your free coach, your own 'go to gal' for your questions and motivational needs. So what are you waiting for? Today's the day, my friends; it's a win-win situation and a decision you won't regret!
References:
Center for Disease Control. (April 2, 2009). "Fast Stats: Overweight Prevalance." Retrieved May 28, 2009 from http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/overwt.htm.

No comments:

Post a Comment